What is Haritaki Powder?
Haritaki or Harde Whole is a plant that is widely used throughout the Indian subcontinent. Its scientific name is Terminalia chebula. It grows at altitudes of over 1800 meters above sea level and is a moderately small plant. Haritaki grows to about 2.5 meters tall, it is one of those plants that have been used for many centuries as a common household cure. It takes an important place in the culture and medicinal practices of ancient India. Haritaki is related to turmeric and the roots and fruits of the plant are used. It is mostly used as Haritaki powder.
Haritaki benefits for Health
- There are a number of properties of this plant that are quite interesting from a medical point of view. It has a wide variety of uses of which some of the haritaki benefits for health are-
- Haritaki has laxative, purgative, astringent properties.
- The fruit of this plant has a number of wound healing properties. It is used to cleanse open wounds and ulcers. It is also ground into a paste and placed over inflammations and swelling.
- In cases of eye strain as well as sores like conjunctivitis, a paste can be applied over the eyelids for lasting relief.
- Gargling with the juice or a juice made from mixing its powder with warm water can help with a sore throat.
- The astringent properties help with loose gums and other gum-related ailments.
- Gastrointestinal issues can also be taken care of by consuming Haritaki.
- It is believed to be a medicine that can fight hepatitis when soaked in honey.
- When mixed with hair oil, it is known to spur growth and improve the health of hair. It is also used to combat dandruff and lice.
Precautions to be taken before taking Haritaki Powder
While it may seem like a wonder fruit and superfood, which it is, but there are also precautions that you will have to consider before taking haritaki powder.
The main precaution mentioned is that it should not be taken by pregnant women. It is known to cause flatulence when taken regularly over long periods of time. It is a medicinal plant, so it may affect or interact with you differently from others, it has also been known to have an effect on the heart in some cases when used for over three months. Consult your doctor before you begin self-dosing. With haritaki health benefits, also has bad effects.